THOMPSON: Policing the boundaries of space and race during COVID-19

When a Black person is killed by police, it feels like Black people are suddenly taking up a lot of space in Canadian media. I’ve had... Read More

Six-Foot City: Introduction

Although the recent pandemic has brought to light many important issues, none has been more pervasive than social distancing. Embedded... Read More

The question of food and the new resiliency

The ability to feed our communities as a result of COVID-19 has the potential to increase awareness of the economic, social and... Read More

A how-to guide to redesign city streets during and after COVID

In cities the world over, streets are being repurposed for people walking, cycling, and simply spending time outside. First Milan... Read More

hindsight: Strathcona

Click here for a larger image. What happens when a crisis, much like the one we are acutely dealing with right now, undermines the... Read More

Release: Revamped Bike to Work Week goes virtual, May 25-31st

HUB Cycling’s popular, bi-annual Bike to Work Week takes on a new name this Spring as Go By Bike Week presented by MEC. The... Read More

Podcast: COVID Reflections

It is safe to say that it’s been a wild few months. And now, after two months of strict social distancing here in Canada, many... Read More

Book Review – What a City is For: Remaking the Politics of Displacement

Author: Matt Hern (MIT Press, 2017) Book Reviewers: William Dunn & Claire Adams Portland is a liveable, progressive, and hip city... Read More

LORINC: The need for local democracy during a pandemic (and are residents tuning out?)

A guy at the park where I take my dog after dinner said the other night that he’d heard the traffic on the 401 last Friday was almost... Read More

Lessons on urban mobility and inequality during a pandemic

Many cities around the world have started to open up road space for non-automotive movement to give people room to get some exercise... Read More