Podcast: Play in new window | Download (12.9MB)
The votes have been counted and Toronto has a new mayor. But what now? We sit down with Alan Broadbent, chairman of the Maytree Foundation, for his take on what lies ahead.
As residents of News Orleans can tell you, the importance of strong leadership becomes particularly apparent when disaster strikes. Five years after Hurricane Katrina, producer Mieke Anderson asks what role public spaces are playing in the city’s rebuilding when she catches up with New Orleans-based journalist Jordan Flaherty.
And we travel along with reporter Monika Warzecha to the Toronto Island in order to find out what it’s like to live there once the weather turns cold and the tourists stop visiting.
Links to stuff from Spacing Radio 025:
- Maytree Foundation website and the Maytree team
- Jordan Flaherty’s new book, Floodlines: community and resistance from Katrina to the Jena 6
- Toronto Island Community: website
- Take a winter ferry ride: listen to Spacing Radio’s episode 17
- Our musical guest is PS I Love You: Paper Bag Records and MySpace page