PHOTOS OF THE CONFERENCE:
Check out the photos of POP / CAN / CRIT to see who attended.
Canadian Architect editor-in-chief Elsa Lam wrote about the conference.
Building magazine also wrote about the event.
Thank you for helping make POP / CAN / CRIT such a success. Here is the information from our 2016 event. Please note that 2017 information will be made available in the Spring.
WHAT: POP / CAN / CRIT — Current Conditions in Popular Canadian Architecture Criticism
WHERE: Carleton University, Ottawa
WHEN: Friday, October 21, 2016
$15 ($10 for students) The event is sold out (see below for more details)
SHARE: Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram — use the hashtag #PopCanCrit
POP / CAN / CRIT
POP / CAN / CRIT: Current Conditions in Popular Canadian Architecture Criticism is a public architecture event that will investigate the conditions of architecture criticism in Canada today. The symposium will bring together 12 of Canada’s leading critical architectural voices, and will see both invited speakers and those in attendance discuss and debate the current state, effectiveness, and future potentials of a professional criticism intended for the general public. As such, the symposium will explore the public, professional, and academic conversations surrounding criticism today, as well as broaden its public audience and understanding. This is an unprecedented occasion within Canada, bringing together the best in Canadian criticism to discuss the state of criticism itself.
SPEAKERS & GUESTS:
- Shawn Micallef: Spacing, senior editor
- Alex Bozikovic: Globe and Mail, architecture critic
- Christopher Hume: Former Toronto Star urban affairs critic
- Lisa Rochon: Architecture Critic, Author, Design Strategist
- Sophie Gironnay: Maison de l’architecture du Québec, co-founder and director
- Elsa Lam: Canadian Architect, editor-in-chief
- Ian Chodikoff: Architect and urban designer
- Rhys Phillips: Building and Canadian Interiors, associate editor
- Trevor Boddy: Architecture curator, critic and consultant
- David Theodore: McGill University School of Architecture, assistant professor, architecture writer
- Marco Polo: Ryerson University Department of Architectural Science, associate professor
- Maria Cook: Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, manager, communications and advocacy
HOW TO REGISTER:
Feel free to email us with any questions you have about the conference: firstname.lastname@example.org
The conference will take place at the Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism at Carleton University in Ottawa. It is located at
Can you help spread the word about this event? Feel free to download our poster [PDF] and put it up!