The City of Toronto is launching a design competition to replace the North Building of historic St. Lawrence Market and they’re calling all architects to join them.
The redevelopment of the St. Lawrence Complex will replace the existing single-storey North Market with a four-storey multi-purpose building that is more energy efficient, environmentally sustainable, and sensitive to the history and heritage of the building and its surrounding area. The site of the original City Hall, the St. Lawrence Complex is made up of St. Lawrence Hall, the South and North Market buildings and the Market Hall Gallery.
Toronto’s tradition of the Saturday Farmers’ Market began on this site in 1803 when the building was no more than a wooden structure, later enclosed on three sides in 1820. In 1831, it was replaced with a quadrangular brick structure, designed by James Cooper, which was later destroyed in the Great Fire of 1849, along with most of the City. Rebuilt and renamed in honour of Canada’s Patron Saint and for the the ward in which it is located, the market now included St. Lawrence Hall, a social hub for public meetings, concerts and lectures. The North Market building has been demolished and rebuilt twice since, in 1904 and 1968.
Mayor David Miller, along with City Councillor Pam McConnell and the St. Lawrence community will be holding an official launch of the competition on Thursday, November 12 at 11am in the North Market building, at 92 Front St. East, with the local merchants providing complimentary refreshments.
Photo by Grant MacDonald