In what may be mild abuse of Spacing Toronto, we hope you will help us spread our call for an Executive Director. This year at [murmur] we celebrate our 5th year anniversary of recording location-based stories and making them available on the streets of Toronto and beyond. We need to find the right person who will help is sustain and spread the project. Please forward this to those you think might be a good fit, or whatever lists or posting boards you think are appropriate. Thank you, Toronto, for all you support over the years.
Position: Executive Director
[murmur] is looking for an inspirational leader. We’re seeking someone passionate about community, cities, and storytelling to guide and grow [murmur]’s collaborations and projects.
The director will be responsible for managing and producing [murmur], and leading its expansion through writing grant applications, securing commissions, and cultivating relationships with potential funders. Responsibilities are as follows:
On the “producing” side, this means taking care of stuff like:
– Recording & editing stories
– Installing signs
– Giving workshops
– Managing volunteers and interns
– Responding to lots of email inquiries
– Coordinating with suppliers
– Writing & sending out occasional newsletters
– Attending conferences and festivals; sometimes presenting
– Organizing events
– Writing grant applications and project proposals
– Managing budgets and books
On the “cultivating relationships” side, this means (among other things):
– Establish new contacts and projects in Toronto, nationally and internationally;
– Develop strategies to raise funds to expand the project;
– Seek out potential sponsors and donors, and tapping into networks;
– Conduct ongoing research for new fiscal strategies and opportunities.
Please get in touch if you:
– Know the project, like it, and (personally) are excited to help in its expansion;
– Have experience being in charge of stuff;
– Are personable and a great writer;
– Are motivated and self-directed, a decision-maker and problem-solver;
– Want a flexible schedule (meaning generally you can decide your own hours, but sometimes there’s stuff that needs doing on weekends);
– Are organized and good with deadlines;
– Are very comfortable with the web, and technology in general;
– Are in Toronto but available for occasional travel;
– Are okay with the idea that your salary is dependent on your fundraising abilities.
The ideal candidate probably also reads a bunch of blogs, lives downtown, rides a bike and/or TTC, and has a cellphone.
Our director will be working from the Centre for Social Innovation, on Spadina Avenue near Queen Street.
This is a part-time contract position for now, probably 3-4 days/week and $18-20/hour to start depending on your experience, increasing with your fundraising success.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email a CV and references to gabe at murmurtoronto.ca
We are looking for someone who can start as soon as possible, June 30th at the latest. Please contact us by June 16th.