Skip to content

Canadian Urbanism Uncovered

• NYC police infiltrate bike and anti-war activism

An early holiday present to New York City cycling activists was revealed last week in the New York Times. For the last 16 months, undercover NYC police...

By
  • When the Streets are Home ~ STREET NURSE

Tuesday December 27 2005 • BLOOR CINEMA ~ 7pm ~ $9 STREET NURSE ~ A film night with special guests During the Season of Giving, please join the...

By
  • Stay Connected

Patrick Evans writes in the Toronto Star about a Statistics Canada report connecting strong community feelings with health and longevity. The article...

By
  • Macroscopes

Yesterday’s Toronto Star had two stories that reminded me of John Thackara’s macroscope idea: A macroscope is something that helps us see what...

By
  • Vancouver cracks down on public heroin use

Police in Vancouver say they plan to start arresting drug addicts who shoot up in public, an uncontroversial idea in some cities but not in Vancouver. The...

By
  • TPSC on the cover of Eye Weekly

That smiling face , and wall of activists, that adorn the cover of Eye Weekly this week are the Toronto Public Space Committee. Spacing was born out that...

By
  • Thank you, John Sewell

John Sewell, the former mayor of Toronto from 1979-81, has been writing about city issues for Globe and Mail, Eye Weekly and NOW for 18 years. This week...

By
  • Urban Leadership Awards

The Canadian Urban Institute, the nation’s leader in progressive civic policy development, annually recognizes people and organizations with their...

By
  • Writing in Public

Since 1999, Found magazine has been collecting messages found in public areas and sharing them with the world. This week, the Toronto Star published an...

By
  • Go Leafs

On this last of the hot and sticky evenings I was riding down Yonge to the YMCA, thinking it was unusually quiet. I had the streets to myself — or...

By
  • Bumvertising

I was up the other night watching the Daily Show when they did a report on Bumvertising. Benjamin Rogovy, a 22-year-old “entrepreneur”, as...

By
  • Patchwork soccer

Spacing‘s “Work and Play” issue discussed the importance of play in public space, both as a way of asserting public use of space, and as...

By