The Sierra Club of Canada is hosting the City of Toronto’s 2007 Car Free Day celebration on Yonge Street and Yonge-Dundas Square on Thursday, September 20 from 10 am to 2:00 pm. World CarFree Day is this Saturday, September 22 in Toronto.
Host a Parking Metre Party along Queen St West from 1 p.m., then join the Carfree Parade at 6 p.m. (5 p.m. assembly at Trinity Bellwoods, to head east).
How to host a parking metre party:
• Scout out a parking spot where you’d like to spend the afternoon
• Park your non-motorized “vehicle” (bike, trike, roller-skates, dinky-car etc.) along Queen West
• Pay the meter: for $1.50 per hour the spot is yours! (Be sure to display your parking receipt on the “dash” of your “vehicle”)
The next day, Sunday, September 23, Bells on Bloor invites you to join their pedal powered parade. The ride stretches from from High Park to the ROM. Free bells will be distributed by Bell Captains. The start point is High Park at Bloor St West — the main gate to the park, at the traffic light. You can see the route map is here. Start time is 12 noon. If you are not riding but want to support the effort, please ring a bell at one of the following locations at 12:30 p.m. when the bike parade passes:
• Christie Pits (Christie and Bloor) Admiral Bellerophon in command.
• Manning and Bloor: Major Bellini
• Brunswick and Bloor: Lieutenant Belle Epoque
Albert Koehl, founding member of Bells on Bloor, recently wrote, “A bicycle-friendly city is environment-friendly, too” in the Star. Read it here.
Here are three things TEA invites you to do:
• Join them for an exhibit of all 1,700 posters. Sunday September 23, 10am to noon. At the Harbour Square Park (foot of Bay Street, beside the Ferry Terminal)
• Walk! Join few blocks or a few days. Leave at noon, and keep hiking until 1,700 lamp posts are postered. Could take awhile….
• Send a message! Send a few words about smog and they will hand-write it on a silhouette and include it in the Smog Hike. It can be about a personal experience, a message to politicians, a fit of rage, a poem, a proposal or whatever you’d like to say.
Get all the details here.
Crossposted to I Bike TO