This could be you (above).
Take the Train — Bring your Bike!
Avoid Soaring Gas prices and explore southern Ontario this summer on the Bike Train
Launched in the summer of 2007, the award-winning Bike Train introduced bike racks on board select VIA Rail departures between Toronto and Niagara Falls, allowing passengers to explore the Greenbelt and the many scenic trails of Niagara and Toronto. Round-trip tickets for the Bike Train cost $59 including taxes and bike transport fees.
The Bike Train is a multi-modal service that encourages low impact tourism and healthy and active lifestyles. Thanks to overwhelmingly positive support last year the pilot project was a resounding success. And with three times as many departures scheduled for 2008, this year’s edition will keep all types of cyclists pedalling well into September.
For 2008, the Bike Train service schedule has been expanded:
· 27 round-trip departures between Toronto and Niagara Falls from June to September
· A St. Catharines stop has been added for a limited number of Niagara-bound passengers
· Organizers anticipate more than 500 cyclists will travel on the Bike Train this summer
· Bike racks installed on board a baggage car provide transport for 56 bikes per departure
â€œThe Bike Train is a fantastic program. I encourage everyone to use sustainable transportation like biking and trains as much as possible. It’s good for climate change and reduces your carbon footprint,â€ said Ontario Environment Minister John Gerretsen.
â€œIt’s new ideas like the Bike Train that will keep Ontario’s Greenbelt green,â€ says Burkhard Mausberg, President, Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation. â€œBy taking the train and your bike you can experience the bounty of the world’s largest Greenbelt and protect it at the same time.â€
• Train travel produces 50% fewer emissions than travel by private vehicle.
• Bicycling in Niagara is generally flat and easy, except for areas around the Escarpment where a climb can be up to 100 metres.
• The 140km Greater Niagara Circle Route offers multi-day bicycle touring in Niagara along well signed, mostly off-road and paved recreational trails.
• Toronto boasts a bikeway network of 380 km and growing, as well as the beautiful the Martin Goodman Trail bike path along the waterfront.
All photos by Martin Reis
Ooh!!! Sounds beautifully exciting! 🙂
** So, How would I found out more information about
the bike train. I am interested but I would like more
information. what is the schedule of the train ?
And what is the exact price including everything ?
I live in Niagara county NY and this is what I want to do this Summer vacation. I need a vacation from cars!!
It looks great acctivities for vacation, the views are so nice, no traffic. can i have more detail in the itinerary for this?