Spacing Radio headed to Hamilton last week for the Ontario NDP leadership convention to find out if a new leader will have any affect on how politicians tackle city issues at Queen’s Park. Host David Michael Lamb sits down with Spacing senior editor Dylan Reid, who blogged and Tweeted from the floor of the convention, and publisher Matthew Blackett who talked to the candidates — including eventual winner Andrea Horwath — about their platforms.
You’ll also hear from Spacing Radio reporter Megan Hall who chats with contributing editor John Lorinc about his upcoming article in the spring issue of Spacing. John profiles Toronto’s first radical public health officer, Charles Hastings, and the plan 100 years ago to bring sanitation and good health to local slums.
And what would a debate between Toronto’s first mayor and our current mayor sound like? Spacing Radio dropped in on William Lyon MacKenzie vs. David Miller during Toronto’s 175th anniversary celebrations. Our featured musical act is Caribou — formerly known as Manitoba — a Hamilton-area DJ whose career took off while he attended the University of Toronto.
Links to stuff from Spacing Radio 002
- NDP Candidates: Michael Prue, Peter Tabuns, Gilles Bisson
- A New Leader: Andrea Horwath’s leadership site and MPP site
- From The Convention: Spacing’s Dylan Reid reports from Hamilton
- Charles Hastings: Wikipedia profile
- Toronto’s 175th Anniversary: Events and celebrations
- Caribou: web site, MySpace, Facebook, and iTunes